ICS conducts many cancer advocacy activities, including:
- We serve as a watchdog to ensure that cancer information is delivered in a sensitive manner.
- We work with tobacco regulation lobbies to stem the easy availability of tobacco, especially to vulnerable youth.
- We have presented to the Parliamentary Sub-Committee on Tobacco Regulation to increase awareness of the tobacco-cancer connection.
- We successfully lobbied the Defense Forces to include cancer screening as part of the Annual Medical examination of all service personnel.
- We continue to monitor the cost of new-generation cancer drugs that are beyond the reach of ordinary people.
- We joined the campaign to have cancer warning messages put on bidi and gutka packets.
- We have special programmes during the year to highlight different cancers, such as prostate cancer (April), tobacco/oral cancers (May), breast cancer (October), cervical cancer (November).
- We work with international bodies such as UICC, WHO, RTI International, the American Cancer Society, WACC, and the LiveSTRONG Foundation to offer learning experiences and interaction for volunteers and management.
- We work closely with the Government of India’s Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and the Delhi Administration.
- We occasionally receive foreign funding through FCRA contributions.